Miley Cyrus has proved that she is more than just a “wrecking ball.” Throughout this season of NBC’s “The Voice,” the 23-year-old singer has allowed the audience to see a more mature, funny, emotional and professional side of her.
Miley’s performance at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards automatically labeled her as the new party girl in town. But during a recent interview with “Variety,” the former Disney star explained those days are over.
“People saw me as being wild, and literally all I do is I’m obsessed with yoga,” she told Ramin Setoodeh. “I love hiking, and I’m reading constantly. My life is so positive. From the outside, people think I’m partying with rappers. That was back in my prime.”
During her chat with Setoodeh, Cyrus, who is reportedly still dating Liam Hemsworth, also opened up about struggling with her sexuality throughout her teenage years and recalled the day when she finally understood her sexual identity.
“I think when I figured out what it was,” Cyrus said of the day she knew she was pansexual. “I went to the LGBTQ center here in L.A., and I started hearing these stories. I saw one human in particular who didn’t identify as male or female. Looking at them, they were both: beautiful and sexy and tough but vulnerable and feminine but masculine.”
She continued, “And I related to that person more than I related to anyone in my life. Even though I may seem very different, people may not see me as neutral as I feel. But I feel very neutral. I think that was the first gender-neutral person I’d ever met. Once I understood my gender more, which was unassigned, then I understood my sexuality more. I was like, ‘Oh – that’s why I don’t feel straight and I don’t feel gay. It’s because I’m not.”
The “We Can’t Stop” performer is the first Hollywood celebrity to come out as pansexual.
“My first relationship in my life was with a chick,” Cyrus revealed. “I grew up in a very religious Southern family. The Universe has always given me the power to know I’ll be OK. Even at that time, when my parents didn’t understand, I just felt that one day they are going to understand.”
After the news broke, we decided to have fun with the idea of Miley Cyrus dating other LGBTQ celebrities — even though, yes, rumors continue to swirl about her possible engagement to on-again off-again boyfriend Liam Hemsworth. But for now, we can dream. Scroll down to see our top 12 LGBTQ picks for Miley.
1) Kristen Stewart: Because they are both socially awkward sometimes.
2) Ellen Page: Because they are both LGBTQ activists.
3) Ruby Rose: Because who wouldn’t want to go to a Miley Cyrus’ concert featuring DJ Ruby Rose.
4) Halsey: Because they are both badass and rad.
5) Zelda Williams: Because they are both strong women who have been through a lot.
6) Aubrey Plaza: Because they both have a peculiar sense of humor.
7) Michelle Rodriguez: Because we all need some Latino flavor in our lives.
8) Amber Heard: Do we really need a reason for this one?!
9) Jamie Clayton: Although Jamie has reportedly dated men in the past, she plays a lesbian on “Sense 8.” So, never say never?
10) Balian Buschbaum: Because Miley has a thing for foreign boys.
11) Aydian Dowling: Because he is a fighter and it doesn’t hurt that he is also adorable.
12) Ezra Miller: Even though Ezra and Miley would technically be a straight couple, the “Justice League” star has previously expressed his openness to find love “wherever it can be.”